OVCI was founded in 1982 with the aim of:
- Setting up initiatives in line with the teachings of the Gospel - to develop the human, social, technical and sanitary aspects of developing countries.
- Promoting the development and autonomy of the people in developing countries with particular attention to integrating people with disabilities.
- raising awareness and a sense of responsibility towards the problems mankind is faced with, especially in developing countries.
OVCI can be considered a living entity, made up of a heart, a mind and arms.
The heart: OVCI was the initiative of two Italian charities: “Associazione la Nostra Famiglia” which has been committed to helping children with disabilities in Italy for almost 50 years and “Gruppo Amici di don Luigi Monza”, which promotes the values upheld by the founder of “Nostra Famiglia.”
OVCI works mainly on:
- children’s rights
- the personal development of the disabled
The mind: the Board, consisting of promotional associations, partners and voluntary groups.
- Voluntary-based groups
- Volunteers in Italy
- Volunteers abroad
- Local collaborators
The key words of our volunteers are: acceptance of diversity, generosity and the quest for peace.
In addition to being a member of IDDC, OVCI is part of:
- Volontari nel Mondo (World Volunteers) – FOCSIV (Federazione Organismi Cristiani di Servizio Internazionale Volontario)
- Como Peace Organisation
Facts and figures
- 27 years’ experience in the Southern hemisphere
- Direct intervention in 10 Southern hemisphere Countries
- 250 volunteers abroad since the beginning of its activity
- More than 250 volunteers working in Italy
- 12 action and promotion groups in 6 Italian regions
Areas of intervention
- Sudan (Juba, since 1983; and Khartoum, since 1999)
- Ecuador (Esmeraldas Province, since 1994)
- China (Beijing, since 1996)
- Morocco (Rabat, since 2000).
OVCI la Nostra Famiglia
Via Don Luigi Monza 1
22037 Ponte Lambro (CO)
Tel: +39 (0)31 625 251
Fax: +39 (0)31 625 243
Contact person: Mauro Borin