Sightsavers implements projects in over 30 countries in Africa and South Asia working to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. We are looking for a Project Manager, to join our UK team with travel required to our Head Office which is based in Haywards Heath (at least twice per month).
Title: Project Manager – Inclusive Data
Location: UK remote – with regular travel to Haywards Heath
Salary: Circa. £45,185
Inclusive data is critical to achieve the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals, highlighting those who are marginalised and at risk of being left behind, so that we can act. Since 2014, Sightsavers has been expanding its work to collect, analyse and use inclusive data to drive better decisions, monitor progress and facilitate knowledge and learning.
As a champion of the Inclusive Data Charter we developed our first action plan in 2018 outlining our commitments to strengthen our work on inclusive data across several areas. Since then, our work on data has evolved. For example, we are increasingly looking at the intersection of disability and other inclusive data dimensions in our projects and programmes, launched our new thematic strategies in 2021 and have strengthened advocacy and influencing work on inclusive data at both national and global levels.
Increasing our knowledge and expertise on inclusive data continues to be a strategic priority for Sightsavers and strengthening the collection, analysis, and use of inclusive data is key to delivering our thematic strategies on health and inclusion. We are updating our IDC action plan which will be re-launched externally in 2023, alongside an internal work plan that sets out our collectively owned, cross-organisational goals and objectives on inclusive data.
The Project Manager-Inclusive Data position uniquely combines interests and experience in project management, international development, social inclusion, data, and working with multidisciplinary geographically dispersed stakeholders – all for the purpose of growing and strengthening knowledge, practice and learning on inclusive data in line with our organisational objectives and commitments to sustainable development.
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced project manager to join our Inclusive Data Team, who will play a key role in scaling up Sightsavers work on inclusive data and supporting the delivery of our ambitious objectives.
The Project Manager – Inclusive Data works collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams across Sightsavers to advance the organisations strategic priorities on inclusive data, strengthen practice, understanding and learning on inclusive data and ensure that our work is joined up across the organisation.
Principle accountabilities (specific activities and end results):
- Facilitate internal alignment and cohesion on inclusive data work working with global stakeholders responsible for the delivery of inclusive data across the different thematic strategies of health and inclusion.
- Lead the inclusive data stakeholders working group, working with the inclusive data operations and planning coordinator to implement effective processes and mechanisms and maintain engagement of stakeholders through regular group calls and communications.
- Regularly produce and share updates on inclusive data to strengthen practice, understanding and learning across Sightsavers. This includes supporting and facilitating internal knowledge exchange and learning sessions.
- Work with inclusive data stakeholders during project design, monitoring and implementation to incorporate inclusive data in their work, support organisational decision making and ongoing learning and improvement.
- Manage the packaging and dissemination of learning and experience from inclusive data activities internally, to feed into policy briefs, donor reports and for other organisational reporting and communications requirements.
- Work with the Inclusive Data Charter Programme Manager to proactively identify key external strategic opportunities to build support and engagement with Sightsavers work on inclusive data, including collaborations and partnerships to share learning, knowledge and best practice.
- Work planning, including supporting development of budgets, forecasts, and reports.
The post holder is expected to travel up to 6 weeks per year.
Knowledge (education and related experience):
- Extensive experience in a relevant field with a background and strong understanding of international development.
- Working knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals, data for development, social inclusion and/or disability essential.
- Extensive experience in project management and stakeholder engagement within the international development sector/not-for-profit sector. In-country experience is an asset.
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of data and statistics (collection, analysis, and use).
- Experience producing analytical reports, information and learning materials for a wide range of audiences.
- Ability to manage complex pieces of work with multiple stakeholders and to produce key deliverables on time.
- Experience in understanding and responding to the complexities of working across multiple countries and continents in an international development organisation.
- Ability to conduct capacity building 1-1 or through workshops.
Skills (training or competence):
- Exceptional project management and communications skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a networked team and with partners around the world virtually and in-person.
- Highly numerate and confident when working with numbers or statistics.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively by telephone, in person and in writing.
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
The main responsibilities are not meant to be an exhaustive list of tasks. The need for flexibility is required and the job holder is expected to carry out any other related duties that are within the employee’s skills and abilities whenever reasonably instructed.
This is a varied role, please read the full job description for further details. As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Sightsavers offers some fantastic benefits. Our comprehensive benefits package includes generous annual leave allowance, pension, season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme, discounted gym memberships and wellness discounts. If you choose to work in or are visiting our collaborative, modern office space, you will find it an easy 20-minute train journey from Brighton or 45 minutes from London.
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying. Please note that there will be an expectation that you can occasionally visit our modern and collaborative offices in Haywards Heath, West Sussex (RH16 3B)
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply
More information and application
Deadline for application: 26 October 2022