Sightsavers implements projects in over 30 countries in Africa and South Asia working to eliminate avoidable blindness and promote the rights of people with disabilities. We are looking for a Senior Policy Adviser and to work closely with the Head of Policy.
Salary: Local terms and conditions apply
Location: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire, Ethiopia, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Ireland, Italy, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria – Abuja, Nigeria – Kaduna, Republic of Sudan, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Sweden, UAE – Dubai, Senegal, Norway, Malawi – Blantyre, Uganda, United Kingdom, USA, Zambia, Zimbabwe
Contract: 2 years fixed term contract
Lead Sightsavers’ policy analysis and global influencing on social inclusion, with a particular focus on the inclusion of people with disabilities in line with Sightsavers thematic strategies. Line manage, lead, and empower the Policy Officer – Social inclusion.
- Provide leadership in delivering Sightsavers’ social inclusion policy objectives, engage with and influence relevant policies and processes (35%)
- Provide leadership on the direction, focus and positioning of Sightsavers’ policy influencing on social inclusion, with particular focus on the inclusion of people with disabilities in line with Sightsavers Social Inclusion thematic strategy.
- Build relationships with strategic targets including governments and relevant bilateral and multilateral agencies to support influencing objectives
- Identify and prepare responses to relevant consultations and inquiries
- Identify and participate in relevant networks to collaborate on influencing where this strengthens Sightsavers strategic objectives
- Produce briefings and papers to support influencing
- Support the delivery of Sightsavers policy campaign
- Represent Sightsavers externally through a diverse range of channels, including global level events, media channels, blogs, and social media
- Deputise for the head of policy when required
2. Conduct high quality policy analysis and generate evidence to support Sightsavers’ policy objectives in social inclusion and education (35%)
- Conduct policy analysis on topics relating to social inclusion, including analysis of relevant bilateral and multilateral policies and processes
- Synthesise and utilise research and evidence to provide technical knowledge on key policy issues
- Identify evidence from national level influencing to feed into global processes
- Support national level influencing through national policy analysis and by supporting the implementation of global policy processes at the national level
- Provide policy for the development and delivery of Sightsavers national and global policy campaigns
- Provide analysis and policy briefings to support Sightsavers engagement in the Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- Lead the professional development of and directly line manage Sightsavers Policy Officer for Social Inclusion (20%)
- Provide leadership and direct line management to the policy officer – social Inclusion
- Support and strengthen the professional development, knowledge, and expertise of the postholder – including policy analysis, drafting, engagement with stakeholders and influencing
- Support the policy officer to develop and deliver the annual budget for social inclusion policy activity
- Promote health and well-being in the team and Directorate
- Respond to external factors and actively participate in the Policy and Global Directorate (10%)
- Remain flexible to additional strategic influencing opportunities as required by the Head of Policy, wider Policy and Global Advocacy Directorate and other teams
- Support the Policy and Global Advocacy Directorate to keep up to date with new developments relating to disability inclusion
- Conduct analysis and submit evidence for other thematic priority areas, and cover other areas of work for the Policy and Global Advocacy Directorate as required
- Play an active and collaborative role in the Policy and Global Advocacy Directorate and wider Policy and Programme Strategies Directorate
- Draft regular reports on policy activity, and proactively share information with colleagues. Support monthly management reporting
- Draft annual budget for Social Inclusion portfolio
- Adhere to and support the adherence to Sightsavers Safeguarding policy
Please note that this role will require some travel which will include key trips to the United States of America.
This is a varied role, please read the full job description for further details. As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Jobholder Entry Requirements
- Conducting policy analysis, policy influencing and policy creation experience in local, national\international
- Managing a team would be advantageous but not essential
- Creating thematic policy briefs
- Experience influencing public policy
- Providing policy input into the development of advocacy plans, new programmes, and research projects
- Understanding of issues relating to social inclusion, human rights, or social development
- Previous experience of working within an INGO\NGO
- Experience and knowledge of the international development sector
- Experience working on disability inclusion and/or other thematic areas within Sightsavers social inclusion strategy would be advantageous
To apply for this exciting new opportunity, please complete an application via our recruitment portal. We are particularly interested in learning of your motivations for applying.
We anticipate that remote interviews will take place late November and the evaluation process will include a task to be completed by shortlisted candidates in advance of this.
Closing date: 13th of November 2022
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applications from all sections of the community. Sightsavers is a Disability Confident Leader and qualified people living with a disability are particularly encouraged to apply.
Sightsavers is an employer that does not tolerate any form of harassment and has zero tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse. All potential candidates will be subjected to rigorous background checks and controls.