About BRIDGE CRPD-SDGs
BRIDGE CRPD-SDGs is an intensive training programme that aims to support organisations of persons with disabilities (DPOs) and disability rights advocates to develop an inclusive (all persons with disabilities) and comprehensive (all human rights) CRPD perspective on development, including the post-2015 agenda and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), to reinforce their advocacy for inclusion and realisation of rights of persons with disabilities.
BRIDGE CRPD-SDGs is a unique inclusive capacity development initiative between the International Disability Alliance (IDA) and IDDC, with support from the Disability Rights Fund, with the aim to supporting DPOs activist to develop an inclusive (all persons with disabilities) and comprehensive (all human rights) CRPD perspective on development, including the agenda 2030 and sustainable development goals (SDGs), and to reinforce their advocacy for inclusion and realization of right of persons of persons with disabilities.
BRIDGE CRPD-SDGs was devised to respond to increasing demands for trainings on the implementation of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and inclusive development, and how these link to achieving Agenda 2030 and the SDGs. It is a coordinated training investment, drawing from the resources and experiences of the IDA and IDDC networks and their members.
The current major funders of the BRIDGE CRPD-SDGs initiative are:
- The Big Lottery Fund is funding CBM to implement a project called “Supporting disabled people to improve their livelihoods in East Africa, in partnership with IDA and ADF. The total amount of the project is 393453 £ and covers 2 full Bridge training cycles in Uganda and Tanzania.
- Through the Catalyst Project (Jan 2017-Mar 2020), DFID is funding the Bridge initiative for a total amount of £ 257 927,73.
- Through the project “Making the most of the Sustainable Development Goals to ensure the realisation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Jan 2018-Dec 2020), the MoFA Finland is funding the Bridge initiative for a total amount of 330,000 EUR.
The BRIDGE SDGs CRPD Training
The BRIDGE CRPD-SDG curriculum is very diverse, and includes SDG, inclusive development, core CRPD content, legal harmonisation, budget advocacy, data and indicators for planning, implementing and monitoring CRPD and SDGs. A high-level policy exchange platform is also offered.
- Module 1 focuses on securing an in-depth understanding of the CRPD and analysing development from a CRPD perspective,
- Module 2 further develops capacities to take action through different key policy areas including legal harmonisation, budgeting, data, to the use of UN monitoring mechanisms. The purpose is to create evidence for policy change.
Through assignments – between both modules – participants work with peers at country level to analyse the human rights and development context in their country and individually develop a draft policy brief analyzing a development issue, from a CRPD perspective.
Training of trainers
A critical number of activists with disabilities, from different regions, is also prepared to respond to the increased demand for highly qualified trainers. They are equipped with skills to facilitate CRPD and SDGs related trainings, including Bridge modules